Yes, I am one of those people that go crazy for the holidays. You know, the kind of person that has an ugly holiday sweater, two large Christmas trees in her home, 50 or so holiday CDs and tons of decor. I simply love the month of December for all the food and festivities and jolly good cheer.
I also have two kids. Despite one being a teen, he still loves the holiday hoopla, too. My 7-year-old? He’s in Blissville already, and it’s not even December! Having excited kids around the holidays just makes it that much more fun. Their excitement is catching!
I took a peek around the Columbia Villages and Columbia Association (CA) to see what events were happening over this coming month, and I was so happy to see so much to choose from. Seems I’m even late to the game for some events, as some are already sold out or have happened already!
Look below; I did all the legwork for you. Everything is in date order, and there is something for everyone. Some events are for young children, some are for families, some for adults and some for senior adults only. If you already missed an event or it’s sold out, stick the idea in the back of your head for next year, like I’m doing! There are a few things I’m eyeing in particular. Spa Day in the middle of all the holiday craziness? Brilliant!
Some events have already passed or are already sold out, but you should keep an eye out for next year! Note that a lot of the sold out events had ticket sales that began in November. It pays to sign up early!
Upcoming Holiday-Related Events:
- Ladies Night Out: Holiday Style • Saturday, Dec. 1 • 6:30-9:30pm • Supreme Sports Club • $10 • 410-381-2775.
- Make and Take Crafts • Sunday, Dec. 2 • 3pm • Kahler Hall • Simple crafts for ages 5 and up. • Free, please donate one personal care item. • No pre-registration required.
- Singular Sensations: Annual Holiday Exhibition • Dec. 6-16; Reception, Thursday, Dec. 6 • 6-8pm • Columbia Art Center • Fine arts and crafts at $150 or less • 410-730-0075.
- Holiday Teas With Harp Music • Thursday, Dec. 6 • 4:30-6pm • Historic Oakland Manor • $25/person plus tax • Pre-register: 410-730-4744.
- Holiday Celebration • Thursday, Dec. 6 • 6:30-8:30pm • Owen Brown Community Center • $5 (includes dinner and music by String Poets Quartet) • Pre-register: 410-381-0202.
- SANTA SIGHTING! Snacks with Santa • Saturday, Dec. 8 • 2-4pm • Owen Brown Community Center • $2.50/child (parents are free) • Pre-register: 410-381-0202.
- Holiday Breakfast • Saturday, Dec. 8 • 9:30-11am • Columbia Gym • $10-14/family • 410-531-8984.
- Community Holiday Dinner • Saturday, Dec. 8 • 6pm • Dorsey’s Search Village Center • Price: one can of non-perishable food item to go to the Howard County Food Bank.
- SANTA SIGHTING! Lunch with Santa • Saturday, Dec. 8 • 11:30am-1pm • Amherst House • $5 (cash or check) • Pre-register: AmherstHouse.org.
- Holiday Teas With Harp Music • Thursday, Dec. 13 • 4:30-6pm • Historic Oakland Manor • $25/person plus tax • Pre-register: 410-730-4744.
- CA – Winter Camps Extravaganza: Saturday, Dec. 15 • 3-8pm • YTC@TheBarn (Oakland Mills Village Center) • For 5-8th graders • $45 • Pre-register: 410-715-5523.
- SANTA SIGHTING! Cookies with Santa • Saturday, Dec. 15 • 2-3:30pm • Amherst House • $3.50 • Pre-register: AmherstHouse.org.
- SANTA SIGHTING! Pizza with Santa • Saturday, Dec. 15 • 11am • Kahler Hall • Free • Bring a personal care item to donate • Pre-register: 410-730-0770.
- Nutcracker Ballet: Central Maryland Youth Ballet • Saturday, Dec. 15 and Sunday, Dec. 16 • 3pm • Jim Rouse Theatre, Wilde Lake High School • $15 in advance, $18 at the door.
- Nutcracker Performance: Cindee Velle Dance • Sunday, Dec. 16 • 3pm • Stonehouse • Pre-register: 410-730-8113.
- Cookie Swaptacular • Sunday, Dec. 16 • 3-5pm • The Other Barn • Bring five dozen same type cookies to swap.
- Spa Day • Monday, Dec. 17 • 10am-3pm • Columbia Gym • Prices vary depending on spa treatment • Includes two free hours of KidSpace • Pre-register: Sarina.Grewal@columbiaassociation.org.
- Oakland Music Cafe with the Accoppiato Ensemble (HS string Quartet) • Sunday, Dec. 23 • 3:30-5pm • Oakland Manor • Free admission and refreshments • Pre-register: 410-730-4744.
- November Events
- Bringing in the Greens – Master Gardeners • Hickory Ridge
- Holiday Craft Show • Town Center
- Holiday Craft Shop • Hickory Ridge
- Sold Out Events
- Breakfast with Santa • Saturday, Dec. 1 • Wilde Lake Village Center.
- Breakfast with Santa • Saturday, Dec. 8 • Other Barn.
- Holiday Lights for Long Reach Seniors • Sunday, Dec. 9 • Stonehouse.
- Breakfast with Santa • Friday, Dec. 14 • Dorsey’s Search Village Center.
- Story with Santa • Saturday, Dec. 15 • Dorsey’s Search Village Center.
- The Polar Express • Thursday, Dec. 13 & Friday, Dec. 14 • The Other Barn.
Phew! If you count these events up, that’s more than 30 events you can attend! I think I’m going to take out my smartphone and start putting some of these dates in, especially for those things I am already too late on and might want to do next year!
P.S. – If you are tweeting about holiday events in Howard County, use #HoHoHoCo!
Melissa Sinclair recently moved to Columbia with her three-generation family. She has lived in more than a dozen cities and is looking forward to making Columbia, Md., her permanent home! Click here to read more of Melissa’s Getting to Know CA series.